Eaton Vance (EV), with $300B in AUM, is a prime example of a large asset manager that has effectively utilized public relations to enhance its brand and credibility and raise its profile among its target audience of financial advisors.
As a result of its work with Dukas Linden Public Relations (DLPR), Eaton Vance now holds the 4th place ranking on Cogent Reports’ Institutional Investor Brandscape 2015 survey of most favored asset management brands. Prior to engaging DLPR, Eaton Vance did not place within the top 25.
Eaton Vance hired DLPR in November 2014, because it sought to extend its foothold within the retail marketplace by appealing directly to the top concerns of financial advisors. Through periodic surveys of the advisory community, EV determined that these concerns were: income, volatility and taxes (which the company dubbed “IVT”). EV tasked DLPR with raising its profile and positioning it as a thought-leader by securing regular top-tier media opportunities for its managers to discuss how its products addressed IVT concerns.
DLPR implements a comprehensive PR plan focused on positioning EV as an industry leader in generating income, navigating market volatility and effectively managing taxes (IVT), while simultaneously working to increase interest from financial advisors in EV’s suite of mutual funds.
The strategy features a two-pronged approach: 1) elevating EV’s visibility in the financial press, 2) while highlighting its IVT initiative and quarterly survey results (which it calls ATOMIX: Advisor Top-Of-Mind Index).
This plan has included positioning EV managers as leading voices on investment management and global financial markets by:
- Introducing its portfolio managers to prominent financial journalists.
- Securing regular top-tier broadcast opportunities.
- Managing media campaigns around quarterly ATOMIX survey results.
- Providing regular media coaching to help PMs weave IVT messages into every interview.
Since the media campaign began there has been a 15% increase in advisors who recognize Eaton Vance as a leader in IVT. Highlights include:
- Multiple co-hosting opportunities for Eaton Vance portfolio managers on CNBC‘s “Power Lunch.”
- Eaton Vance’s Focused Growth Opportunities fund (EAFGX) and Multisector Income fund (EVBAX) were featured in the December 13, 2016, and November 21, 2016, issue of Barron’s, respectively.
- The May 2016 announcement of ATOMIX was covered widely in the financial and mainstream media, and USA Today devoted a front-page graphic to the results for two consecutive days.
- The May 2015 release of ATOMIX was covered extensively by the Wall Street Journal, which devoted an entire article and online video to the topic.