Navigant Consulting, Inc. (NYSE: NCI) is an example of a large management consulting firm skillfully utilizing public relations to increase visibility and grow revenues. Navigant, which generated more than $1 billion in revenue in 2016, hired Dukas Linden Public Relations in 2015 to increase visibility for its Financial Services Advisory and Compliance (FSA&C) business segment.
By focusing on competitive news topics—such as governance, risk management, compliance and the M&A market, Navigant credited DLPR with boosting its “share of voice” from 1% to 5% in the first year of the program. DLPR drove overall media coverage of FSA&C an additional 50% higher in the second year of the program, while establishing Navigant spokespeople as authoritative experts who regularly appear in the media alongside peers from larger competitors.
Navigant hired DLPR to showcase FSA&C’s partners’ insights and expertise, thus enabling the company to compete in the space with the Big Four accounting and large consulting firms, such as McKinsey and BCG. Of paramount importance to Navigant, and a challenge for DLPR, was that neither the company nor DLPR may discuss Navigant’s clients and specific consulting projects.
DLPR’s program positions FSA&C consultants as thought leaders in financial services and highlights their complex work for global institutions by:
- Meeting regularly with reporters and, thereby, establishing its executives as experts in compliance, regulatory, risk management, and operations.
- Showcasing the comparable backgrounds and expertise of the FSA&C consultants by targeting reporters who regularly quote Big Four consultants.
- Securing regular top-tier global broadcast interviews.
Highlights of DLPR’s program include:
- Highly visible broadcast appearances by FSA&C practice leader Ellen Zimiles on U.S. and U.K. financial news networks, including Bloomberg and CNBC.
- Regular appearances by Ellen Zimiles in The Wall Street Journal, a Crain’s New York Business profile, and features as well as podcasts with Compliance Week.
- Scheduling consultant speaking opportunities at U.K. financial services events.
- Generating coverage in The Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, Pensions & Investments, Forbes, Global Investigations Review and Compliance among others.
- Compliance Week named managing director Alma Angotti to the publication’s first-ever advisory board.
Navigant has been able to showcase its intellectual capital and industry gravitas, despite previously struggling to do so against household-name competitors. Additionally, the company has established a recurring presence in the financial services media without commenting on client engagements, as DLPR focused its program around reporter relationship-building and strategic, opportunistic thematic coverage.