Raymond James is a well-known financial services company focused on investment banking, asset management and financial planning. A member of Fortune 500 and one of the companies that comprise the S&P 500 index, Raymond James (RJ) has more than 7,000 financial advisors around the globe, managing approximately $622 billion in assets. For the 2016 fiscal year, the company generated more than $5.4 billion in revenues, while racking up its 115th straight quarter of profitability. DLPR has represented Raymond James since 2010.
Raymond James came to DLPR in 2010 with a solid reputation among many financial advisors and investors. Yet, primarily because it is based in St. Petersburg, Florida—one thousand miles away from Wall Street—many considered RJ as a “regional brokerage firm.” As a result, RJ sought a stronger and more unique identity: that of a top-caliber firm, detached from the problems of Wall Street and the financial markets as a whole.
DLPR’s primary mandate is to manage and implement a broadcast-focused media relations campaign designed to build and enhance RJ’s brand reputation on a national level. Additional goals of the program are to:
- Position RJ as a leader in equity research.
- Establish the company’s CEO, Paul Reilly (who joined the company very soon after DLPR was hired), as an influential and authoritative leader in the financial
- Position the company’s investment banking and fixed income executives as thought-leaders.
- Build awareness of RJ’s continued growth and transactions, including its acquisitions of Mummert & Co., Morgan Keegan and the U.S. Private Client Services Unit of Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management (now operating under the Alex. Brown brand).
The focal point of the campaign is to secure ongoing publicity in top-tier print, online and financial broadcast outlets for C-Suite executives and research analysts. Among RJ’s primary media targets are: The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Barron’s, Financial Times, CNBC, Bloomberg, and Fox Business.
DLPR continues to pursue several key tactics in developing brand awareness for RJ:
- Top-tier print and online opportunities focused on key financial market issues and trends in various sectors and industries.
- Media tours and in-person meetings in New York with top financial reporters, editors and producers.
- One-on-one broadcast interviews focused on stock, fixed-income and vertical sector analysis; as well as macroeconomic commentary, M&A activity and IPO market trends
- Message development and interview coaching for RJ’s C-suite executives and its extensive roster of research analysts, most of who had limited previous media experience.
DLPR has placed more than 25 different Raymond James spokespeople in top-tier media since the program’s inception. Highlights include:
- The company’s stock price has risen more than 100% since it began its work with DLPR.
- Over the course of the campaign, RJ’s spokespeople have appeared 5-10 times per month, on average, on CNBC, Bloomberg, and Fox Business, and have been quoted 10- 20 times per month, on average, in Barron’s, Forbes, Reuters and The Wall Street Journal, among many other top-tier outlets.
- CNBC’s Closing Bell and host Maria Bartiromo broadcast live from Raymond James’ institutional trading floor.
- Fox Business News’ Liz Claman broadcast live from the company’s
- DLPR helped to successfully introduce RJ’s “robo” offering, resulting in positive coverage in The Wall Street Journal and key advisory trade
- DLPR regularly arranges in-person interviews for RJ executives in top outlets, such as The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Forbes, Fortune and The New York Times.