Stuck in the Office for the Holidays? Here’s What You Can Do
Being in the office during big holiday weeks like Christmas and New Year’s, always seems like a drag. But, it’s actually a great time to get things done and do some strategic thinking. There are less emails and phone calls to distract you, not to mention office gossip and internal fires to put out.
Since both Christmas and New Year’s fall in the middle of the week this year and lots of people are out, there’s almost two weeks of downtime! Here are some things you can do:
- Take an assessment of all you did in the past year. You’ll probably be surprised at how much you accomplished.
- Make a list of client priorities or personal goals in 2020.
- Bond with the skeleton staff in your office – get to know your colleagues better.
- Develop a new snazzy marketing deck for your group to use in new biz presentations.
- Write a blog post for your company’s website or your LinkedIn profile.
- Go out to leisurely lunches or drinks with contacts you know are in town as well.
- Read an amazing piece of business journalism.
- Check your spam folder to see if you missed any important messages.
- Change some of your passwords so you don’t get hacked!
- Unsubscribe to those annoying emails you get every day.
- Clean up your Google alerts.
- Come up with ideas that can help improve the culture of your workplace.
- Try to recruit friends to join your company.
- Simplify your digital life by deleting unused apps on your phone, getting rid of unwanted alerts, and cleaning up your email inbox.
- Organize your contacts – they’re the most important thing you have.
Happy holidays and New Year!
Zach Kouwe, Senior VP